Fun Facts about Trees
- There are approximately 30 million Real Christmas Trees sold in North America every year.
- North American Real Christmas Trees are grown in all 50 states and Canada. Eighty percent of artificial trees are manufactured in China.
- Real Trees are a renewable, recyclable resource. Artificial trees contain nonbiodegradable plastics and possible metal toxins such as lead, cadmium and organo-tins.
- For every Real Christmas Tree harvested, 2 to 3 seedlings are planted in its place the following spring. In the Spring of 2002, over 65 million Real Christmas Tree seedlings were planted.
- There are about 1 million acres in production for growing Christmas Trees. Each acre provides the daily oxygen requirement of 18 people.
- There are about 15,000 Christmas Tree growers in North America, and over 100,000 people are employed full or part-time in the industry.
- It can take as many as 15 years to grow a tree the average retail sale height (6 feet), but the average growing time is 7 years.
- The top Christmas Tree producing states are Oregon, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Washington and Wisconsin.
- The top selling Christmas Trees are: balsam fir, Douglas fir, Fraser fir, noble fir, Scotch pine, Virginia pine and white pine.
The National Christmas Tree Association was used as a source for all of these facts.